Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Newly Notable -- The Expats

I'm not recommending The Expats--primarily because I haven't read it yet--but I'm intrigued. How often do books get almost uniformly good reviews? But if I were to recommend it prematurely, it would be because of something the author (Christ Pavone) said: "I think most people have no idea what their spouses do all day long. It's not a question of adultery I'm talking about, but just the reality that you live this life of 40, 50, 60 hours a week doing something completely divorced from your family and it's possible that it's just completely no what the other person thought it would be." Interesting, no?
With that in mind, here's the premise: Kate, married to Dexter, is the working mother of twins. Dexter thinks that Kate puts in long administrative hours. In truth, she is a CIA operative. The novel opens with Dexter getting offered a job in Luxembourg, which he accepts and will require Kate to leave her job. She is happy until she begins to settle into her new life, when she begins to question the quiet lives of those around her. Are they what they seem? Or are they pulling the same charades that she did for so long?
I'm intrigued. A psychological spy novel? Count me in!
Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

It's on my list of things to read!